What is an athletic trainer?
Athletic trainers work with student-athletes, coaches and parents to make sure young athletes are well prepared for activities, properly treated for injuries and can return to play safely and quickly.
After partnering with Seattle Children's Hospital from 2018-2023, Seattle Prep is proud to have dedicated the resources required to hire our own full-time, dedicated Certified Athletic Trainer to work directly with Panther Athletics.
- Immediate emergency care and treatment; including cervical spine stabilization and cardiac emergencies
- Evaluate return to play
- Injury prevention, assessment, care and rehabilitation
- Taping, weight training programs and review of medical releases
- Conditioning and flexibility training suggestions
- Education about sports safety and nutrition
- Sport-specific training and conditioning programs
- Referrals when medically necessary
Our Athletic Trainer generally begins at 1:30PM each day and is available for appointments as well as check-ins with current student-athletes under care. Afternoons are spent with both training room hours as well as covering events.
Originally from the Chicago area, Andrew Carlson, LAT, ATC is entering his 10th year of athletic training and second at Seattle Prep. Andrew was affiliated with Seattle Children's for three years, including serving Seattle Prep during the 22-23 school year. He was hired on full-time at Prep in August of 2023.
Prior to being hired by Seattle Children's Hospital, Andrew spent the previous four years working in the local professional soccer ranks, serving both the Tacoma Stars and Seattle Sounders Academy.
Email Andrew Carlson