Seattle Preparatory School provides a technology-rich environment that supports collaborative partnerships, enriches teaching and learning, and encourages meaningful experiences for members of our community. Through the appropriate use of technology, students are engaged in their learning process, become independent problem solvers and participate ethically and safely as digital citizens of the world. Seattle Prep has established a one-to-one environment in which each student has his/her own device.
Microsoft Surface and Surface Pro
Seattle Prep has selected the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 as its required 2-in-1 (laptop-tablet hybrid) device for members of the Class of 2020 and Class of 2021. The Class of 2022 use the Microsoft Surface Pro 5. The Class of 2023 use the Microsoft Surface Pro 6. Members of the Class of 2024 will receive the Microsoft Surface Pro 7 in August 2020.
After conducting a great deal of research on the best purchase and distribution method of the Microsoft Surface Pro, we have determined that a bulk purchase by the school has many benefits, including significant savings for families. This also allows us to equip every machine with necessary applications and software for the upcoming year. The cost of the device will be $1,450, which is a significant savings from the retail cost of purchasing hardware, software, and warranty separately. This will include an integrated type cover keyboard, stylus, software, and accidental damage protection. Student enrollment/re-enrollment contracts will provide an option for families to purchase the device in one payment or to divide the cost over ten payments using our FACTS tuition management system. Those with demonstrated financial need will receive assistance on this purchase.
Student devices will be distributed in August 2020, prior to the start of school. Device distribution will include an initial orientation and training. Seattle Prep faculty and staff will continue to engage in professional development this year in preparation for the upcoming school year.
- When and how was this decision to move to the Microsoft Surface made by Seattle Prep?
- What version of the Microsoft Surface has Seattle Prep selected, and what are the specifications of the device?
- Why has Seattle Prep decided to continue requiring a standardized device?
- What is the requirement for the Class of 2023?
- What is the cost to families and how will we purchase the device?
- What will this mean for families receiving financial assistance?
- What if we already own a Microsoft Surface Pro?
- What happens if my device stops working or is damaged?
- What happens if my device is lost or stolen?
- How will the Surface Pro better enable teachers to manage classroom distractions?
- What software will be included in the Surface Pro 4/Surface Pro?
- Are you offering Cloud storage to protect student data?
- When will students receive their devices?