Intramural Basketball at Seattle Prep
To further health and activity, Seattle Prep runs an intramural sports program
Intramural basketball occurs January through early March. Intramural games occur at lunch in the gym. Individuals or teams can attend an informational meeting and sign up in December. There is a boys and girls league with a regular schedule and playoffs. Winners receive an championship t-shirt.
2013 Intramural Schedule click here!
1. Captains Duties- You coordinate your team and are the main contact person, you are responsible for your players- if they get out of hand or are disruptive you need to control the situation.
2. Appropriate Play – All players must play according to the rules of basketball. Unsportsmanlike play, over aggressive play or aggressive use of the body will not be tolerated.
3. Team Management – Please double check rosters and talk to your players. We need 5 players on the court at game time (5 minutes after we get out for lunch or you risk forfeit.) Only current Prep students can play. No MRC students. No student can play if they are on any of the Seattle Prep Basketball teams. No student can play on more than one Intramural team.
4. Games- All games are during lunch in the Prep gym. Most teams have a bye or idle week. Games last for two 10- 13 min halves running clock, call your own foul, no free throws, 3 pointers OK. Score is kept on the scoreboard. Two games go on at one time on either court in the gym. Games will end with enough time for you to eat and get dressed and be ready for class. If you do not show up to class on time you will be marked tardy.
5. Playoffs - Most teams make the playoffs with teams ranked via win loss record
6. Fouls - Call your own foul. If you are fouled call it quickly and loudly. The foul results in the return of the ball to the team who was fouled at the top of the key
7. Jump ball- If there is a jump ball situation where two opposing players are both grabbing the ball. One person should yell, “firsts”. That team gets possession then the next jump ball the other team gets possession
8. Injuries – All injuries need to be reported to Mr. Mack.
9. Court boundaries- Players on the bench need to stay off the court during the game. The side court boundary lines are hard to see but if a team is warned more than once they could be penalized.
10.Team uniforms are not provided but your team is encouraged to make uniforms or wear the same color.
11.Gym rules- There is no eating of food in the gym. Water is permitted with responsible use. No sitting or climbing on the retracted bleachers.